Since the invention of the internet, there has been an increase in the number of internet companies.
Today, internet companies have grown to be among the biggest ones in the world in terms of revenue, the number of employees, and even inventory.
Given that the internet is here to stay and that each day presents the possibility of a new internet solution, we can only expect these companies to keep growing.
Below is a list of internet companies by revenue and market capitalization.
Keep in mind that this list includes only those companies that do the majority of its business on the Internet.
Meaning that it excludes internet service providers or other information technology companies that do most of the business outside the internet.
- List of Largest Internet Companies in the World in 2021
- Top 10 Biggest Internet Companies in the World
- Largest Internet Company #1: Amazon
- Largest Internet Company #2: Alphabet
- Largest Internet Company #3: JD.com (Jingdong)
- Largest Internet Company #4: Facebook
- Largest Internet Company #5: Alibaba
List of Largest Internet Companies in the World in 2021
Top 10 Biggest Internet Companies in the World
10 biggest internet companies in the world are (sorted by revenue):
- Amazon ($386.06 billion)
- Alphabet ($182.52 billion)
- JD.com ($114.97 billion)
- Facebook ($85.96 billion)
- Tencent ($74.31 billion)
- Alibaba ($71.99 billion)
- Suning.com ($38.06 billion)
- ByteDance ($34 billion)
- Netflix ($25.00 billion)
- PayPal ($21.45 billion)
Largest Internet Company #1: Amazon
On 5th July 1994, Jeff Bezos founded Amazon in Bellevue, Washington. What we know today as the world’s largest eCommerce platform started as an online bookseller, before going on to include other items its inventory.
Today, besides being the most extensive online marketplace, Amazon also offers digital streaming, artificial intelligence, and cloud computing. Subsidiaries like Amazon Music, Audible, and Amazon Prime Video allow users to stream and download music, audiobooks, and videos, respectively. Amazon also owns Amazon Publishing, Amazon Web Services, and Amazon Studios. Bezos announced that Amazon had over 100 million subscribers in 2018 for the first time, mostly because of Amazon Prime, the company’s two-day delivery service.
Currently, Amazon has a workforce of 798,000 employees, making it the biggest employer among internet companies. Before 2015, Walmart was the most valuable retailer in the US. However, Amazon surpassed that and first reached the $1 trillion market cap on 4th September 2018.
In 2020, Amazon generated sales worth $386.06 billion, which was a 37.6% increase from $280.52 billion in 2019.
Annual Revenue of Amazon from 2010 to 2020
Largest Internet Company #2: Alphabet
Google is, by far, the most recognized internet company today.
Although most people know of the company’s search engine services, Google also has interests in cloud storage and social media, evidenced by its products Google Drive and Google Plus, respectively. The company also offers video sharing services via YouTube, work and productivity services via Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides, and photo organizing via Google Photos, among others.
Larry Page and Sergey Brin are the brains behind Google, which they founded in 1998 while taking their Ph.D. degrees at Stanford. Initially, the company aimed to modify the existing search engines then but later expanded to include other services.
In 2015, Google underwent corporate restructuring, which gave rise to Alphabet Inc. as Google’s parent company.
The move saw the two founders assume executive roles in the new company, with Sundar Pichai as Google’s new CEO. Google generated total revenue of $182.52 billion in 2020 and has around 135,300 employees.
Annual Revenue of Google (Alphabet) from 2010 to 2020
Largest Internet Company #3: JD.com (Jingdong)
With total revenue of $114.97 billion, the Chinese-owned eCommerce company is our third one on the list.
Although Liu Qiangdong founded Jingdong in 1998, the eCommerce platform went online in 2014 and was initially known as 360buy.
Jingdong has its headquarters in Beijing and is a member of Fortune Global 500, an annual ranking of the 500 top corporations globally by revenue.
When starting, Jingdong had its focus on magnetic and optical instruments. However, the company expanded its operations to include electronics and general merchandise.
Today, JD.com is a leading company in the AI and high-tech fields, with a particular focus on drones and autonomous technology. Since 2017, the company has been exploring driverless delivery through drone-delivery services.
Company operations run under two segments; JD Mall and New Businesses. JD Mall is the core eCommerce platform for the company, while the latter includes overseas business, technology services, and other services to third-parties.
JD is China’s most significant retail employer, with 310,000 employees.
Tencent, a Chinese conglomerate holding company holds about 20% of JD’s stake.
Annual Revenue of JD.com (JingDong) from 2012 to 2020
Largest Internet Company #4: Facebook
When Mark Zuckerberg and three of his friends gathered in their Harvard dorm room to start Facebook in 2004, they had no idea that the company would grow to become the most popular social networking site globally.
Initially, membership was only available for Harvard students, before the founders opened it up to other Ivy League schools, and finally to anyone above the age of 13 in 2006.
Besides the social media website, Facebook Inc.’s other products include Facebook Messenger, Facebook Portal, and Facebook Watch. The company also recently obtained Oculus, WhatsApp, and Instagram as its subsidiaries.
Facebook’s Initial Public Offering was on 1st February 2012 and raised $16 billion, the third-highest IPO sale in US history. The sale saw Facebook surpass several US companies in market capitalization, although the company struggled to maintain its IPO price after its listing on NASDAQ on 18th May 2012.
In 2020, the company registered total revenue of $85.96 billion, which was a 21.6% increase from 2019’s total revenue.
Annual Revenue of Facebook from 2009 to 2020
Largest Internet Company #5: Alibaba
Alibaba Group Holding Limited has its headquarters in Hangzhou, China.
The company was founded in 1999 by Jack Ma and has grown to become Asia’s largest retail and eCommerce company and has global users.
Alibaba is well-known for its business-to-business (B2B), consumer-to-consumer (C2C), and business-to-consumer (B2C) services and hosts the world’s largest marketplaces for the named services.
These marketplaces are Alibaba.com, Tmall.com, and Taobao.com.
The company also provides cloud computing and mobile media and entertainment services. The two significant subsidiaries that run under the company are Alibaba and Aliexpress. The former is in charge of the wholesale business, while Aliexpress primarily handles the retail sales.
Alibaba has 117,600 employees worldwide.
The company went public in 2014, recording the highest IPO in the world at $231 billion with a listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
Alibaba Group Limited hit the $500 billion valuation mark in January 2018, becoming the second Asian company- after Tencent- to do so.
Annual Revenue of Alibaba from 2010 to 2020
- Amazon.com Announces Fourth Quarter Sales up 21% to $87.4 Billion
- AMZN : Summary for Amazon.com, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Alphabet Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2019 Results
- GOOG : Summary for Alphabet Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- JD.com Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- JD : Summary for JD.com, Inc. – American Deposit – Yahoo Finance
- Facebook Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- FB : Summary for Facebook, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Alibaba Group Announces March Quarter and Full Fiscal Year 2019 Results
- BABA : Summary for Alibaba Group Holding Limited A – Yahoo Finance
- TENCENT ANNOUNCES 2019 FOURTH QUARTER AND ANNUAL RESULTS
- TCEHY : Summary for TENCENT HLDGS LTD – Yahoo Finance
- Suning.com Released 2019 Financial Report with the Establishment of Full-Scenario Retail
- 002024.SZ : Summary for Suning.com Co., Ltd. – Yahoo Finance
- 2019 annual report
- NFLX : Summary for Netflix, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- TikTok parent ByteDance rakes in USD 20 billion revenue in 2019, up 180% year-on-year: Report
- TikTok’s revenue said to skyrocket over 300% in Q4
- PayPal Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- PYPL : Summary for Paypal Holdings, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Salesforce Announces Record Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2020 Results
- CRM : Summary for Salesforce.com Inc – Yahoo Finance
- Baidu Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2019 Results
- BIDU : Summary for Baidu, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Booking Holdings Reports Financial Results for 4th Quarter and Full-Year 2019
- BKNG Key Statistics | Booking Holdings Stock – Yahoo Finance
- Uber Announces Results for Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019
- UBER : Summary for Uber Technologies, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE RESULTS FOR THE YEAR ENDED DECEMBER 31, 2019
- 3690.HK : Summary for Meituan Dianping – Yahoo Finance
- Expedia Group Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- EXPE : Summary for Expedia, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Earnings Release | Rakuten, Inc
- RKUNY : Summary for RAKUTEN INC – Yahoo Finance
- Adobe Surpasses $11 Billion in Annual Revenue
- ADBE : Summary for Adobe, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- eBay Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- EBAY : Summary for eBay Inc. – Yahoo Finance.
- A leaked memo shows Bloomberg reached $10 billion in annual revenue
- Bloomberg profile on Forbes
- Wayfair Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- W : Summary for Wayfair Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- NetEase Reports Fourth Quarterand Fiscal Year 2019 Unaudited Financial Results
- NTES : Summary for NetEase, Inc. – American Deposi – Yahoo Finance
- Annual Reports | Key Figures 2019 | Zalando
- ZAL.DE : Summary for ZALANDO SE – Yahoo Finance
- Kuaishou earned revenue of $7.2 billion in 2019: report
- Kuaishou Technology – profile overview
- Spotify Technology S.A. Announces Financial Results for Fourth Quarter 2019
- SPOT : Summary for Spotify Technology S.A. – Yahoo Finance
- South Korea’s Coupang operating loss shrinks by a third in 2019 as e-commerce surges
- Flipkart to sack 800 more amidst gloomy biz outlook
- Walmart and Flipkart Announce Completion of Walmart Investment in Flipkart
- Flipkart’s FY19 revenue up 42% to Rs 43,615 crore
- 6 charts that tell you about Flipkart’s growth
- 4Q19 & FY2019 Earnings Result
- 035420.KS : Summary for NAVER Corporation – Yahoo Finance
- Trip.com Group Limited Reports Unaudited Fourth Quarter and Full Year of 2019 Financial Results
- TCOM : Summary for Trip.com Group Limited – Yahoo Finance
- Chewy, Inc. – Investor Relations
- CHWY : Summary for Chewy, Inc. – Yahoo Finance.
- Square – Q4 2019 Shareholder Letter
- SQ : Summary for Square, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Pinduoduo Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2019 Unaudited Financial Results
- PDD : Summary for Pinduoduo Inc.. – Yahoo Finance
- Sabre reports fourth quarter 2019 results
- SABR : Summary for Sabre Corporation – Yahoo Finance
- BET365 GROUP LIMITED – Overview (free company information from Companies House)
- Workday Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2020 Financial Results
- WDAY : Summary for Workday, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Lyft Announces Record Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year Results
- LYFT : Summary for Lyft, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- ServiceNow Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results
- NOW : Summary for ServiceNow, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Twitter Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2019 Results
- TWTR : Summary for Twitter, Inc. – Yahoo Finance.
- ASOS Final Results for the year to 31 August 2019
- ASC.L : Summary for ASOS PLC ORD 3.5P – Yahoo Finance
- GODADDY REPORTS FOURTH QUARTER AND FULL YEAR 2019 RESULTS
- GDDY : Summary for GoDaddy Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Yandex Announces Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results
- YNDX : Summary for Yandex N.V. – Yahoo Finance
- Zillow Group Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results
- Z : Summary for Zillow Group, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- 4Q & 2019 Earnings Results | Kakao
- 035720.KS : Summary for Kakao Corp. – Yahoo Finance
- Airbnb Says It Made a Profit Again in 2018
- Airbnb Company Profile
- The Stars Group Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- TSG : Summary for The Stars Group Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Wirecard Annual financial report 2018
- WDI.DE : Summary for Wirecard AG – Yahoo Finance
- Fanatics profile on CNBC
- Fourth Quarter 2019 Financial Results
- WUBA : Summary for 58.com Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Groupon Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2019 Results
- GRPN : Summary for Groupon, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Sea Limited Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- SE : Summary for Sea Limited – Yahoo Finance
- SINA Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2019 Unaudited Financial Results
- SINA : Summary for SINA Corporation – Yahoo Finance
- B2W announces 4Q19 Results
- BTOW3.SA : Summary for B2W CIA DIGITAL – Yahoo Finance
- newegg.com revenue
- Match Group Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- MTCH : Summary for Match Group, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Copart Reports Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2019 Financial Results
- CPRT : Summary for Copart, Inc. – Yahoo Finance.
- The Amazon-Whole Foods Deal Could Have Killed Instacart. Instead, The Startup Is Stronger Than Ever.
- Sohu.com Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2019 Unaudited Financial Results
- SOHU : Summary for Sohu.com Limited – Yahoo Finance
- Snap Inc. Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results
- SNAP : Summary for Snap Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Shopify Announces Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results
- SHOP : Summary for Shopify Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Stitch Fix Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Fiscal Year 2019 Financial Results
- SFIX : Summary for Stitch Fix, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Tripadvisor Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results
- TRIP : Summary for TripAdvisor, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Mail.ru Group Limited Consolidated Financial Statements For the year ended December 31, 2019
- MAIL.RUGRP S share price (MAIL)
- Overstock.com Form 10-K | SEC Filings
- OSTK : Summary for Overstock.com, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- ANGI REPORTS Q42019–FULL YEAR REVENUE
- ANGI : Summary for ANGI Homeservices Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Q4 2019 – Zynga Quarterly Earnings Letter
- ZNGA : Summary for Zynga Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Grubhub Reports Fourth Quarter And Full Year 2019 Results
- GRUB : Summary for Grubhub Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Verisign Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- VRSN : Summary for VeriSign, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Pinterest Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- PINS : Summary for Pinterest, Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Twilio Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- TWLO : Summary for Twilio Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- Farfetch Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results
- FTCH : Summary for Farfetch Limited – Yahoo Finance
- Yelp Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Financial Results
- YELP : Summary for Yelp Inc. – Yahoo Finance
- S-1 Vroom, Inc.
- Craigslist is raking in $1 billion a year, according to one researcher’s estimates
- S-1 DocuSign